A lot of luthiers (my younger self included!) tend to prefer building guitars, and view repair work as a way to pay the bills. I have grown to enjoy the process of diagnosing and repairing all kinds of instruments. I especially enjoy repairing and restoring vintage acoustic guitars, which are my specialty. For more detailed examples of my work and approaches, check out my repair blog.
Instruments may be dropped off at the Bruce & Sons shop, just outside Omaha, or at Lidgett Music in downtown Council Bluffs, IA, where I am typically available in-store on Friday afternoons. If you don’t have a local trusted repairman in your area, I also work on guitars shipped from all over the country, particularly for valuable and/or vintage instruments or complicated jobs.
If you’ve got a stringed instrument that needs work, send it my way!
Pricing & Options
I would love to work on your instrument and make it play, look, and sound like it deserves. Below are some guideline prices for common repairs. Every instrument is unique, so prices may vary. Shoot me a message about your instrument to discuss detailed pricing.
- Crack – $20/Inch/Cleat
- Loose Bracing – $25/Brace
- Reglue Bridge (w/ Setup) – $100
- Replace Bridge (w/ Setup) $150
- Replicate Vintage Bridge (w/ Setup) – $200
- Neck Set – $300
- Repair Binding – Varies
- Peghead Break – $75
- Peghead Break + Finish – $150
- Peghead Break + Spline + Finish – $250
- Basic Setup – Included
- Fret Level – $125
- Refret, Level, New Nut – $275
- Partial Refret, Level – $125 + $8/Fret
- Bound Refret, Level, New Nut – $325
- Basic Setup $50-$75
- New Nut w/ Setup $95
- New Saddle w/ Setup – $80
- New Nut & Saddle w/ Setup $130
- New Strings – $7
- Touch Ups – Price Varies
- Electric Body New Finish – $300
- Electric Body Refinish – $375+
- Electric Neck New Finish – $150
- Electric Neck Refinish – $200
- Sunburst – $Price Varies
- Set Neck Guitar Finish – $450+
- Other Finish Work – Inquire